Friday, June 20, 2008

Korean Primer, part one

The Korean written language is easy as hell. I keep trying to tell this to people, and I don't think they believe me. This won't be a proper lesson in Korean, but it'll be enough to illustrate my point.

First thing, all the vowels are just straight lines, or variations on straight lines. Here goes:
ㅏ ㅓ ㅣ ㅗ ㅜ ㅡ

Those are, in order: A (short a, "ah"), EO (nasal a, "aw"), I (long e "ee"), O (long o), U (long u), and the last letter is EU ("uh").

Piece of cake right? There are a few difficult vowels, but there are only two important ones.

ㅐ ㅔ

This is just: AE (long a), and E (short e, "eh").

The other cool thing about Korean vowels, other than being able to instantly tell the difference between a vowel and a consonant, is that the vowels are all accented in just one other way. In other words, in the English language, if you see the letter "a", it could be pronounced several different ways and even more variations depending on if it's next to another vowel -- "language" for instance.

The vowels are all accented with an extra little line, and they all add a y sound.

ㅑ ㅕ ㅛ ㅠ ㅐ ㅔ

So: Yah, Yaw, Yo, Yu, Yae and Yeh

The language is so logical, it further adds to my theory that Korean people are ROBOTS. The consonants are even easier and I'll show those next week.
Post a Comment