Monday, December 24, 2007

Slurpee Day Fun Continues!

Just FYI, I am moderately addicted to the news. On a typical day, I'll read anywhere from 2-5 newspapers, and usually catch a BBC podcast or two. When ingesting my news content for the day, I like to play a little game I like to call, "Left, Right, Truth" or "Times, Post, BBC". On slow days, when I'm sitting around doing nothing but enjoying a delicious 7-11 slurpee, I'll sometimes catch The Seattle Times, just to see what my fellow Pacific Northwesterners are doing. You know those guys do some wacky things sometimes. (I just heard about a group of people that go to downtown Seattle and impersonate zombies. Crazytown!)

Anyway, I caught this article over at the Seattle Times' website and ended up taking the Selectsmart.com quiz on presidential candidates. The article claims that people who take the test get skewed results, but I disagree. When I took the quiz, I was matched up 100% with "theoretical ideal candidate" which is exactly who I'm voting for next year.

USA Today's quiz was a little...weird, with questions being worded in peculiar ways. Maybe it's just the very intense attention I give to words, but they sound off to me. I think the problem stems with the "Yes/no, because..." system, and not usually finding a "because" I can agree with. For instance, Question 8 is about same-sex marriage, and offers the option of leaving it up to the states, which is where is should be, but doesn't really offer a "states should decide this..." option. One choice for the question on taxes is "Simplify the current income tax system". Wow. Simplify it? Great idea.

If you're bored and you're reading this (one usually leads to the other, so chances are pretty good that you're both right now,) take the quiz and see what happens. I'm interested to see how well our personal perceptions match the documented positions of candidates. Also, I want to see who has a political agenda with these quizzes. ("You oppose the war? Vote Edwards! You're in favor of the war? Vote Edwards!")

Also, I should probably go ahead and state for the record that if you need a color-coded chart to decide who to vote for, you probably shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Post a Comment