Monday, December 10, 2007

Diablo Cody and the News

I'm going to attempt to make this point as quickly and as efficiently as possible, because it stirs up a lot of feelings about a unified theory of literature that I tend to live by, and I don't want you people to get bogged down in the details. Here goes.

If you haven't heard about the film Juno yet, I'll fill you in with as much I know: It's a black comedy about an unwed teenage mother seeking an adoptive family for her unborn child. A few of the things I've read about the movie indicate that it's both "heart-breaking" and "hilarious". Not only that, but it's won a few awards and been around the independent film festival block. Having not seen the movie yet, I can only assume that it's pretty good, or at the very least, noteworthy in its own right.

The reason, however, that this film has garnered media buzz as of late, is not because of the quality of the film, but of the past of the screenwriter, Diablo Cody. See, Cody has lived the life of the writer, which means that instead of dumping needless amounts of money into superfluous schooling, Cody has done the things that people do, worked a number of jobs and wrote purely for the sake of writing. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that a person who has seen a large enough scope of life would have the experience to write a "hilarious" and "heart-breaking" black comedy, because only people with experience can tell a joke or a sad story.

Instead of focusing on this women's apparent talent and determination as a writer, they have decided to draw attention to job as a stripper at one point, which, by the way, was, like, ten years ago.

I'm not even going to get started on how angry this makes me. I guess if I would to put my feelings into a two-word response to the media's shameful display of journalism it would be "No shit." So you're telling me a former stripper is actually more knowledgeable about hardship than an MFA holding screenwriter who spent 3/4 of his life in college? No kidding?

Yes, she used to be a stripper. So what? I'm sure that after writing an extremely successful screenplay after no formal training and working two jobs while doing it that the first thing she wants everyone to know. This woman has done something that deserves praise, and yet the only thing that the media can focus on is that she used to take off her clothes. This is what we call the news, ladies and gentlemen. This is what we call the news.
Post a Comment